Shipowner to pay 1 million euro fine for Costa Concordia accident
ROME, April 10 - RAPSI. Costa Crociere, the owner of the Costa Concordia cruise liner that sank in January 2012, will pay 1 million euros as an administrative fine for the crew's errors and for violations of emergency routines.
The fine was awarded on Tuesday by Judge Valeria Montesarchio of the Grosseto tribunal, the local newspaper Corriere Fiorentino reported. After paying the fine, the cruise company will not be prosecuted for the accident, but will rather have to take part in the hearing as a victim that lost its ship.
"This is the most wise and balanced verdict that could have occurred under these circumstances," Marco De Luca, the lawyer representing Costa Crociere, said while commenting on the ruling.
The Costa Concordia sank off the coast of Giglio near Toscana in Italy on the evening of Jan. 13 last year, killing 32 people and injuring hundreds of some 4,200 passengers and crew on board, including 111 Russians. The preliminary hearing will take place in Grosseto on April 15, according to Il Sole 24 Ore.
Former Captain Francesco Schettino, who has been charged in the accident, said he wanted to retrieve his house, garage and the Honda Varadero 1000 motorcycle seized to guarantee litigation costs and fines, Italian media reported on Tuesday.