UK police will not reopen investigation into Princess Diana’s death
MOSCOW, December 17 (RAPSI) – The Metropolitan Police has looked into new information concerning the car crash which caused the death of the Princess of Wales 16 years ago and has said there was “no credible evidence” of the Special Air Service’s (SAS) involvement and no reason to reopen the investigation, Sky News reports.
The police examined claims that Princess Diana and Dodi Al Fayed were murdered by a member of the British military.
New information about the crash was brought to light in August 2013 by a military source identified as Soldier N during the second court martial of Sergeant Danny Nightingale, a former SAS sniper who was found guilty of illegally possessing a gun and ammunition at a house he shared with Soldier N.
In September 2011, the in-laws of Soldier N sent his command a letter expressing concern over his strange behavior. He allegedly told them that it was the SAS that had “arranged Princess Diana’s death” and that it had been “covered up.”
The police conclusions published on Monday say that the three-month “scoping exercise” revealed contradictions in the accounts claiming SAS involvement in the death of Princess Diana.
Sky News also quoted Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley as saying: “Whilst there is a possibility that the alleged comments in relation to the SAS's involvement in the death (of Princess Diana) may have been made, there is no credible or relevant evidence to support a theory that such claims had any basis in fact. …There is no evidential basis upon which therefore to re-open any criminal homicide investigation or refer the matter back to the coroner.”
Princess Diana, Dodi Al Fayed and chauffeur Henri Paul died after their Mercedes crashed in a tunnel in Paris while pursued by photographers after leaving the Ritz Hotel on August 31, 1997. According to the official conclusion, the driver lost control of the car while drunk and speeding.