Investigation into MMA Emelianenko’s alleged sexual assault completed
MOSCOW, September 5 (RAPSI, Diana Gutsul) – An investigation into the alleged sexual assault involving Russian mixed martial arts fighter Alexander Emelianenko has been completed, attorney Alexander Karabanov told RAPSI on Friday.
After Emelianenko and 27-year-old Polina Stepanova who claims to be assaulted study the case records they will be forwarded to the prosecutor’s office and then submitted to court, Karabanov said.
Moscow's Simonovsky District Court earlier extended Emelianenko’s detention until the end of September.
According to investigators, Emelianenko assaulted and raped Stepanova, his housekeeper, on the night of March 2 and then seized her passport.
Emelianenko denies any wrongdoing and claims sex was consensual.
If convicted, he faces up to six years in prison.
Emelianenko is a well-known Russian mixed martial arts fighter who has represented the country at many international championships. His younger brother Fedor Emelianenko is believed to be the greatest mixed martial arts fighter in history.
Unlike his brother, Alexander is often implicated in scandals, usually as a result of alleged heavy drinking. Last year, he was charged with assaulting a retired person at a Moscow café. The criminal case against Emelianenko was dropped after a settlement had been reached.