Former Ukrainian Interior Minister transferred to prison
KIEV, August 31 - RAPSI. On Friday, convicted former Ukrainian Interior Minister Yuri Lutsenko was transferred to the Menskaya prison in Chernigov Region, says Larisa Sargan, head of People's Self-Defense Political Party. This has also been confirmed by the penitentiary authorities.
The former minister has issued a statement reporting that he has no claims against the isolation ward's administration and medical personnel and that no violations had been committed during his transfer to the prison.
In February 2012, Lutsenko was sentenced to four years in prison for embezzling state funds and abuse of power.
On August 17 Kiev's Pechorsky District Court found Lutsenko guilty of negligence in a further criminal case against him and sentenced him to two years in prison.
This second criminal case against Lutsenko is based on accusations of illegal eavesdropping and spying on the driver of former First Deputy Chief of the Ukrainian Security Service, Vladimir Satsyuk. The matter is being considered as part of former President Viktor Yushchenko's poisoning case. The former minister claims he is innocent and says his prosecution is politically motivated.
In Ukraine, if an individual is convicted in more than one trial, only the longer of the terms will be served. Therefore, Lutsenko's original prison term will remain unchanged.
His attorney said that the defense filed an appeal on Wednesday.
The attorney stressed that Lutsenko's only hope now is with the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR).
Menskaya prison is Ukraine's only prison for former law enforcement officers and court employees.