Next trial over Bolotnaya riots participant postponed
MOSCOW, December 17 - RAPSI. The Moscow Zamoskvoretsky District Court will not be able to hear the criminal case concerning Mikhail Kosenko, an individual involved in the May 6 riots in Bolotnaya Square, on Monday, the court's press secretary Yevgenia Pazukhina told the Russian Legal Information Agency (RAPSI/rapsinews.com).
"The hearings will not be held today as the judge is too busy. The date for the next hearing has not been set yet," Pazukhina said.
Dmitry Ayvazyan, Kosenko's attorney, told the Russian Legal Information Agency that he spoke with the defendant's sister, who told him that the hearing was scheduled for January 23. However this has yet to be officially confirmed.
Doctors say that Kosenko suffers from a psychological disease. For this reason, the court has to rule over the forced treatment which the prosecutors insist on.
The last opposition protest rally was held in May, following the ascension of Vladimir Putin to his third presidential term. Although officially sanctioned, the opposition march across Moscow led to clashes with the police on May 6. Dozens of protesters and police officers were injured. The police detained over 400 rally participants. After May 6, the opposition continued its protests in the form of "people's promenades," wherein crowds of opposition activists walked peacefully together through the city in a show of opposition.
The court has already sentenced Maxim Luzyanin, an individual involved in the riots, to 4.5 years in prison.
Vladimir Markin, the Investigative Committee's official spokesperson previously said that separate cases have been initiated against 12 individuals involved in the case.