High-profile case against Poroshenko’s chocolate company dismissed
MOSCOW, December 30 (RAPSI) – Investigators have closed a high-profile criminal case initiated against the Roshen confectionery owned by Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko, Violetta Volkova, attorney for of one of the defendants told RAPSI on Tuesday.
The lawyer said the case against Roshen’s director general was dismissed for lack of evidence to support a criminal charge. At the same time, the company’s accounts worth 2.5 billion rubles ($44.1 million) have been released.
Russia’s United Confectioners has sued Roshen for 2.4-billion rubles ($42.3mln) in compensation for the alleged misuse of trademarks. Under this lawsuit, the Tverskoy District Court in Moscow adopted an injunction on Roshen’s accounts in Russia worth 2.8 billion rubles ($49.4mln).
In July 2013, Russia’s food safety protection agency Rospotrebnadzor announced that Ukrainian confectionery imports from four Roshen factories had been suspended over quality issues.
Poroshenko said when running for president in the spring of 2014 that he would sell his business assets, including Roshen.
Roshen Confectionery Corporation is one of Ukraine’s largest producers of confectionery with an annual output of 410,000 metric tons of over 200 kinds of confectionery products. It exports its products to Russia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Azerbaijan, Armenia, Moldova, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, the United States, Canada, Germany and Israel.