Russian journalist Andrei Stenin confirmed dead in Ukraine
MOSCOW, September 3 (RAPSI) – Russian photo journalist Andrei Stenin was among those killed during an attack on a convoy of vehicles carrying Ukrainian refugees in early August, RIA Novosti reported on Wednesday, citing Russia’s Investigative Committee.
According to investigators, the car that Stenin was travelling in came under fire near the city of Donetsk in eastern Ukraine.
“As a result of the attack, more than 10 vehicles with civilians were destroyed. Some were able to escape [the attack] and hid along the roadside,” the agency quoted Investigative Committee spokesman Vladimir Markin as having said.
Stenin, 33, was working in Ukraine as a photographer for Rossiya Segodnya news agency. He joined Rossiya Segodnya’s predecessor, RIA Novosti, in 2009 and reported from many conflict zones, including Syria and Egypt.
He went missing on August 5.
Anton Herashchenko, an adviser to Ukraine's interior minister, said in an interview with Radio Baltkom that Stenin had been arrested by Ukrainian security services. However, later Herashchenko claimed that he only presumed that Stenin had been arrested.
Russia’s Investigative Committee launched an investigation into the alleged kidnapping of Steninin by Ukrainian authorities.
State Duma Deputy Speaker Sergei Zheleznyak claims that a war crimes tribunal should be set up to investigate the attack on the refugees and bring those responsible for the attack and death of the journalist to justice.
Meanwhile, Ukrainian helicopter pilot Nadezhda Savchenko stands accused of having abetted the killings of other two Russian journalists.
Igor Kornelyuk and Anton Voloshin were killed on June 17 in a mortar attack in the vicinity of Metallist and Mirny, small towns near Lugansk in eastern Ukraine.
Savchenko was detained when she allegedly entered Russia as a refugee.