MOSCOW, October 4 - RAPSI. On October 18 the Moscow City Court will start considering behind closed doors the case of an attempt to blow up a high-speed Sapsan train last summer, the courts press-service told the Russian Legal Information Agency (RAPSI/rapsinews.com) Friday.
The case will be considered by a panel of three judges.
"On Thursday, the Moscow City Court held the preliminary hearings in the case. The court ruled that the case will be held behind closed doors, since it was designated as classified when filed," said the court press service.
They added that the defendants are accused of attempted terrorism; thus, in accordance with the law, the case will be considered by a panel of three judges.
On July 18, 2011, Federal Security Service (FSB) head Alexander Bortnikov reported to then-President Dmitry Medvedev that a major terrorist attack had been averted in the Moscow Region and that four suspects had been detained. He said an explosive device, arms and a map had been seized from them.
It later became known that they had planned to blow up the Sapsan train.
"Viktor Grin, the deputy prosecutor general, has approved the indictment in the criminal case against Islam Khamzhuyev, Fail Nevlyutov, Mansur Umayev and Mansur Edilbiyev," the Prosecutor General's Office spokesperson, Marina Gridneva, said.
The four individuals have been accused of attempting to commit acts of terrorism and thuggery, as well as illegal acquisition, transfer, sale, transportation, and possession of arms and explosive devices. Khamzhuyev, Umayev and Edelbiyev have also been charged with illegally manufacturing explosive devices. Nevlyutov has been charged with taking part in an illegally armed enterprise.
In addition, Khamzhuyev has been accused of financing and participating in an illegally armed criminal enterprise.