MOSCOW, January 10 - RAPSI. Opposition activist Leonid Razvozzhayev, who is involved in the case on organizing mass riots in Russia, consented to the closure of the case against him regarding robbery charges.

Closing the case due to the expiration of statute of limitations is a non-rehabilitating circumstance. Thus, Razvozzhayev will be deprived of the right to seek compensation for illegal prosecution and groundless detention.

An Angarsk resident complained to the law enforcement authorities that the individuals who robbed her husband in 1997 had not yet been brought to criminal liability.
Pursuant to the criminal case materials, Razvozzhayev and his alleged accomplices decided to rob a man who was trading fur products. Investigators said the armed individuals broke into his apartment, tied him up with Scotch tape, and demanded his property on December 4, 1997.

"Razvozzhayev and his accomplices stole a video camera and 500 fur hats, inflicting losses amounting to 95 million pre-revaluation rubles," the Investigative Committee reported.

After the initiation of the robbery case, investigators notified Razvozzhayevs lawyer on the expiration of the statute of limitations. The case was not closed automatically, since Razvozzhayevs consent was required.

On October 19, 2012, the Investigative Committee placed Razvozzhayev on the federal wanted list. He was charged with organizing public unrest together with leftist activist Sergei Udaltsov and his aide Konstantin Lebedev.

The case against them was initiated after the broadcasting of the "Anatomy of Protest 2" documentary film on the NTV television channel.

The film claimed that the opposition was organizing a coup using funds from abroad and showed Udaltsov and his companions allegedly talking with Givi Targamadze, who at the time headed Georgia's Parliamentary Defense and Security Committee, and is said to have been involved in planning the "color" revolutions in Georgia and Ukraine, as well as the mass riots in Belarus.

Earlier in December another criminal case was initiated against Razvozzhayev, this time on suspicion of illegally crossing the Russian-Ukrainian border in October.