MOSCOW, May 27 (RAPSI) - Four men who have been arrested in the past week on suspicion of conspiracy to murder in connection with the savage killing last Wednesday of British soldier Lee Rigby have been released on bail, the BBC reported Monday, citing sources at Scotland Yard.

The Daily Telegraph reported Wednesday that an off-duty British soldier – later identified by name as Rigby – was killed by two men armed with meat cleavers. The two men reportedly shouted "Allah Akhbar," meaning "God is great," during the attack.

According to an official police statement, calls were made from the scene shortly after 14:00 reporting that two men were assaulting another man using a number of weapons, including a firearm. Once police arrived on the scene, “[t]wo men, who we believe from early reports to have been carrying weapons, were shot by police.”

Local news station ITV aired footage depicting one of the attackers, still wielding a meat cleaver, his hands drenched in blood, as he bellowed into the camera: "You people will never be safe."

In a Metropolitan Police press release issued Wednesday, Byrne explained: "The investigation into the shocking murder of a serving soldier yesterday is ongoing, and is of course a major investigation for us."

On Thursday, a Metropolitan Police statement confirmed the arrests on suspicion of murder of the two men on the scene: “A 22-year-old man… and a 28-year-old man… shot by police at the scene have been arrested on suspicion of murder… They remain in separate London hospitals and are both in a stable condition. Their injuries are not life threatening.”

Deputy Assistant Commissioner for the Metropolitan Police Stuart Osborne announced Sunday that the two are still in the hospital, and will be formally interviewed when possible.

Still, according to Osborne’s statement, “[w]e have been undertaking a complicated and often rapidly developing round the clock investigation since the horrific murder of fusilier Lee Rigby in Woolwich on Wednesday afternoon.”

The BBC reported that three individuals – a man, aged 29, and two women, aged 29 and 31 – were arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder Thursday, and that three more were arrested based on the same suspicions the following Saturday. Saturday’s arrests involved three young men aged 21, 24, and 28.

According to the BBC, both women were released without being charged, and the four men have been released on bail.

The report further explains that another man, aged 22, was arrested Sunday on suspicion of conspiracy to murder, and remains in custody. Between the six who have been arrested and released in various capacities and the three who remain in custody, nine arrests have been made in connection with the murder so far, according to the BBC.