MOSCOW, January 16 (RAPSI) - Dmitry Altaichinov, a participant in a May 2012 protest rally in central Moscow's Bolotnaya Square, was pardoned on Thursday pursuant to a broad amnesty spearheaded by Russian President Vladimir Putin, RAPSI reports from the courtroom.

In so holding, the Zamoskvoretsky District Court in Moscow satisfied a motion filed by Altaichinov's lawyer.

He is the seventh among the co-accused in his case to be released under the recent presidential amnesty and the eighth person to be pardoned of a violation connected with the May 2012 events.

Altaichinov has been charged with “participation in mass riots, violence, arson and destruction of property.” According to the investigation report, during the authorized March of Millions rally on May 6, 2012, Altaichinov assaulted police by throwing plastic water bottles at them.

The defendant has pleaded guilty but has filed a motion to have his case heard under special circumstances. In late December, the case of Altaichinov was sent to court.

Anastasia Rybachenko, an opposition activist whose arrest was ordered in absentia in Russia for her participation in  a large-scale Moscow protest in May 2012 and put on an international wanted list, has been pardoned on January 10.

On December 19, Nikulinsky District Court of Moscow terminated the case against four defendants in the 2012 Bolotnaya Square riots case – Nikolai Kavkazsky, Maria Baronova, Leonid Kovyazin and Vladimir Akimenkov. On December 25, Dmitry Rukavishnikov, an aide to Russian State Duma opposition lawmaker Ilya Ponomaryov, was also pardoned.

Over 400 people were arrested and scores injured in the Bolotnaya Square protest that turned violent on the eve of Vladimir Putin’s inauguration to a third presidential term in May 2012. Dozens were later charged with inciting mass riots and using violence against law enforcement officers.

Left Front leader Sergei Udaltsov has been accused of organizing the riots and using violence against police during the rally. In October 2012, he was ordered not to leave the city. He was placed under house arrest in February 2013. In December, the Moscow City Court sent the case against Udaltsov and co-defendant Leonid Razvozzhayev, to prosecutors for further investigation based on errors that had been revealed. In so holding, the court satisfied a motion filed by Udaltsov and Razvozzhayev.