Hearing of Navalny's appeal against Kirovles case resumption postponed
MOSCOW, August 9 - RAPSI. The Moscow Basmanny District Court put off until August 29 the consideration of the appeal by oppositionist Alexei Navalny against the decision to resume the Kirovles case, the court told the Russian Legal Information Agency (RAPSI/rapsinews.com) on Thursday.
The court has given Navalny and his attorney time to familiarize themselves with the package of documents from the Russian Investigative Committee, including the ruling of July 30 to merge the criminal cases regarding Navalny, citing him as a defendant and the protocol of interrogation.
The criminal case against Navalny was halted on April 12, 2012, but that decision was subsequently reversed and the investigation was resumed.
The previous hearing was put off at the request of the blogger's attorney because the defense had obtained most of the documents which the investigative authorities had previously refused to hand over. The court granted Navalny and his attorneys time to familiarize themselves with the documents and prepare their case. Navalny's attorney said that the required documents included the ruling of April 25, 2012 to resume the case, the existence of which they had only recently been made aware.
The Investigative Committee has charged Navalny with organizing embezzlement. Investigators said that Navalny, who was an advisor to the Kirov Region governor on a voluntary basis, organized the embezzlement of Kirovles property in collusion with Vyatskaya Lesnaya Kompaniya Director Pyotr Ofitserov and Kirovles CEO Vyacheslav Opalyov.
Investigators believe that from May to September 2009 more than 10,000 cubic meters of Kirovles timber products were stolen, leading to a loss for the Kirov Region budget in excess of 16 million rubles ($507,130).