MOSCOW, November 6 (RAPSI) – Observers from Poland at the elections in the Donetsk and Lugansk republics which broke away from Ukraine are going to sue Ukrainian authorities for banning them from entering the country, RIA Novosti reported on Thursday, citing Alexander Brod, director of the Moscow Human Rights Bureau.
Seventy observers from Europe and the United States monitored the November 2 government and parliament elections in the Donetsk and Luhansk people’s republics in southeast Ukraine. Ukraine’s security service said that Kievv would declare them personae non grata.
Alexander Brod, who monitored the elections with a group of human rights activists, said the observers were insulted and described as “representatives of reactionary conservative forces that had been tarnished by their relations with terrorists and extremists.”
Brod has said the observers could file a lawsuit with the European Court of Human Rights against Kiev’s intention to declare them personae non grata.
The observers said they were surprised by the Ukrainian authorities’ plans, because they were only doing their duty, and that if Kiev did this it would contradicts its declared intention to restore peace in Ukraine.