MOSCOW, December 10 - RAPSI. The Moscow City Court sentenced four individuals connected with the case of a terror plot aimed at a high-speed train running between St. Petersburg and Moscow to between 15 and 18 years in prison, the court spokesperson told RAPSI.
During the pleadings, the prosecutor requested that the defendants be given 16-19 years in prison.
Islam Khamzhuyev, Fail Nevlyutov, Mansur Umayev, and Mansur Edilbiyev were accused of attempting to commit acts of terrorism, as well as illegally acquiring, transferring, selling, transporting, and possessing arms and explosive devices.
Khamzhuyev, Umayev, and Edelbiyev were also charged with illegally manufacturing explosives. Nevlyutov was charged with taking part in an illegally armed enterprise.
Khamzhuyev was accused of financing an illegally armed criminal enterprise as well.
On July 18, 2011, Federal Security Service (FSB) head Alexander Bortnikov reported to then-President Dmitry Medvedev that a major terrorist attack had been averted in the Moscow region, and four suspects had been detained. He said an explosive device, arms, and a map had been seized.
It later became known that they had planned to blow up a Sapsan train, a new high-speed train which runs between Moscow and St. Petersburg, and Moscow and Nizhny Novgorod.